On 03/02/2012 10:14 AM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 08:55:58PM -0800, Chase Douglas wrote:
I'm beginning to think that this is all so complicated even when we
try to be verbose and convey things as accurately as possible that
nothing short of "it just works perfectly and exactly how I wanted"
will be good enough. Although I think we are very close to this
being possible, we're just too far past feature freeze for it to
land.

After the freeze is lifted, I'll upload a new X synaptics module
with ClickPad support but disabled by default for all devices. We
can document the feature on wiki.ubuntu.com and tell people how to
enable it. Next cycle I'll finish it by ensuring click actions are
supported too. Then we can turn it on without hesitation :).

Alright, sounds like a good plan.  Then LTS users will get it on
12.04.2 or via an SRU if that makes sense.

I'm about to upload. The only change is that I'm leaving clickpad support enabled for clickpads with a separate physical right button. These devices do not have click actions enabled by default anyways, so there's no regression in behavior.

I'm only aware of two machines with such clickpads: Dell Mini 1011 and 1012 netbooks.

-- Chase