Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone wanted to take another look at recommending 64
bit instead of 32 bit for 13.10?

I did a survey on planet ubuntu on the current computers that need for 32
bit [1].  I would only propose that we default to recommend 64 bit on the
Ubuntu website for 13.10.  The biggest item pushing us there is that newer
machines will need 64 bit to work (EUFI).

Ubuntu server (13.04) already defaults to 64 bit only (unless you manually
go to releases.u.c).  As for what other distros are doing; only Fedora
defaults to 64 bit only.  Most others show both without a preference
(Debian recommends a multiarch image).

I would also like it if we could start planning a bit further out.  When
would we be the last LTS release with 32 bit support*?  If we start the
discussion now we can make it easier for people to plan around us.

Let me know if there is interest and I'll quickly put a blueprint together.

Kind regards,
Bryan Quigley

* To me this means last one with images built and kernels.  Obviously we
would need to keep 32 bit libraries etc for things like Steam.
[1] http://bryanquigley.com/crazy-ideas/survey-results