Le 08/08/2017 à 09:24, Sebastien Bacher a écrit :
Hey again there,

Le 08/08/2017 à 06:20, Robert Ancell a écrit :
Based on verbal discussions most people seem keen for it to be shipped
by default, with a blocking issue being the alarms being unreliable if
that app closes:
My understanding is not that they are unreliable but not working at all
if the application is closed since there is no background service.

I'm a bit unsure about this one since it's needed to be able to add
different timezones to be displayed in the clock indicator, which is a
nice feature and that we had out of the box in unity, but at the same
time it feels wrong providing an application were a core/important
feature is not working (if you provide alarm/reminders to users they
might rely on those and it's quite a let down if it's not working).

Iain said at GUADEC that it sounded like a job for making use of systemd
and that he would be interested maybe to have a look.

In any case I would say +1 if we fix or remove the non working features
but -1 otherwise.

An intermediate fix until we turn it into a proper system service would be to do something similar than what we did with rhythmbox: if an alarm is scheduled, the quit signal is turned into hide window. Then recalling this gapplication just show back the main instance.

The remaining issue would be if you schedule an alarm and reboot though, but it could be quite a good intermediate solution for this cycle and then, we fix this properly next one with more available developer cycles?

Cheers,
Didier