On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 08:03:49AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Milan [2007-09-15 16:54 +0200]:
> > We can also think (and this is my opinion ;-) ) that the locate command
> > is only used by advanced users that now how to install slocate in two
> > minutes, and thus that we don't need to install it by default. Newbies
> > don't use locate in a terminal, but Tracker in GNOME.
>
> I fully agree. Installing *two* search tools by default is too much.
> We probably should not uninstall locate on upgrades, but we should not
> put it into new installations. One is painful enough (although they do
> not server the same purpose: locate only indexes file names, while
> tracker indexes your entire file system, which is much more
> heavyweight).

The idea of removing locate annoys me. I've spent too much time in past
jobs fighting broken commercial Unix systems that decided to break (or
didn't bother to test) standard Unix tools like man and locate. If
you're working with a variety of different systems then this sort of
thing is a real pain.

Can we not come up with a way to generate the locate database from
tracker instead?

--
Colin Watson                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]