Hi,

On 9/27/07, Oliver Grawert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 27.09.2007, 10:49 +0200 schrieb Waldemar Kornewald:
> > What about my alternative suggestion? It would still run fsck, but at
> > the same time be less annoying or not disturbing at all.
> not wsure if you ever ran fsck manually, but you have to unmount the
> partition you check or at least mount it readonly ...
>
> so no matter how far you will background it you wont be able to work
> while it runs ...

I'm sure it is technically possible. It might mean changes to fsck or
even the kernel, but, for example, under Windows I can run chkdsk
read-only even on a read-write mounted FS. I can even defragment that
FS while it's mounted read-write. IMHO, this is a highly desired
improvement to the current behavior which draws users away (friends
who saw fsck on my laptop called Linux stupid and asked me why I don't
just use Windows).

Regards,
Waldemar Kornewald