Hi,

Are there still grounds for keeping slocate in cron.daily for desktop
users? At least I'm annoyed by it running on my computers every day, and
I always either remove it or move it to cron.monthly for the occasional
use. Still, I think there is no GUI for it anyway, and everyone's home
directories are now indexed by Tracker, so what's the point?

Also, Fedora has moved from slocate to mlocate [1], which reduces the hard
drive burning if locate service is still needed (eg. for servers). Even if
slocate is nowadays ionice:d, it still burns the hdd for a considerable
amount each time, since it always reindexes the whole disk (unless
cached), especially for people who have hundreds of gigabytes of
stuff on their hdd.

[1] http://carolina.mff.cuni.cz/~trmac/blog/mlocate/

I'd believe I'm not the only one annoyed by it being included in the
default installation. Both moving to mlocate plus moving it to run weekly
or removing slocate completely would sound good to me if compared to the
current situation, but also I'd like to hear if there are any reasons to
keep the current behavior there, still.

Ok, just when I was going to send this I thought about another google
search, and found a good bug report [2] and a discussion thread from
September [3]

[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/slocate/+bug/140493
[3]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2007-September/001646.html

There it looked like it's mainly wanted to be kept on servers. Most people
don't use it at all, and the discussing persons on this list are surely of
the more advanced type. One of the strongest arguments seems to be
just that locate is as standard of a Unix tool like man is, and some
long-time user would miss it (which was countered by that it can be easily
installed). But Sebastian Bacher's last post [4] mentioned the fact that
removing locate would break gnome-search-tools - is that something still
relevant with deskbar-applet and Tracker?

[4]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2007-September/001681.html

If locate cannot be removed for hardy, like I stated I'd at least like it
to be moved to cron.weekly or cron.monthly on desktop installations and
replaced with mlocate (already packaged in Debian and Ubuntu) as a kind
of an emergency measure for all the people frustrated with its indexing.

-Timo