On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, George Farris wrote:

>> Speaking for myself, I regularly use slocate to find things that are
>> outside my home directory (not that I use tracker for things that are in
>> my home directory - I put them where they are, so I know where they are ;)
>
> I also regularly use slocate, please keep it.

Like I stated, so do I, but I wouldn't find it problematic to install it
for myself, and stop it from annoying the majority. Likewise, I wouldn't
think Ubuntu to be any less geek-compliant even if I had to turn slocate
on manually. I'd even like to configure it manually myself instead of it
defaulting to daily updates which annoys me, too.

Anyway, I understand that defaulting to cron.monthly would make the data
too obsolete, so cron.weekly might be a sensible compromise in a short
term, in the case slocate will not be disabled for now. But also Matt's
/etc/default/slocate with setting defaulting to disabled sounds good,
except for I don't know how to do it so that it's only disabled for the
desktop installations. Slocate would be even installed by default like
currently, but on desktop installations it wouldn't run except if the
setting would be turned on.

-Timo