On 2019-05-05 21:38, Josefsson-Ljungdahl wrote:
Den sön 5 maj 2019 kl 21:26 skrev Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunna...@ubuntu.com <mailto:gunna...@ubuntu.com>>:
Ubuntu does that as well, at least when GDM or LightDM is used. Maybe
worth mentioning that the scripts in the Ubuntu versions of those DMs
are run as bash processes. (That was changed a few years ago;
previously they were run as dash processes.)

OK, that's good but since Ubuntu does have /bin/sh pointing to /bin/dash
and the initialisation procedure sources scripts with #!/bin/sh it
doesn't go all the way in this case.

The shebang line is ignored if a file is sourced, isn't it?

From a quick look at the code in environment-modules I see that it seems to test for the BASH_VERSION variable. That makes me think of this change of LightDM:

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~lightdm-team/lightdm/trunk/revision/2168/debian/lightdm-session

which was made in response to:

https://launchpad.net/bugs/1482641

Can this possibly be a reason for the confusion you have observed?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj