So,

it seems that cron defines two PATH right now. Stuff launched from
/etc/crontab - e.g. /etc/cron.daily and friends - get a PATH _similar_
to the normal one, except that:

 - /{s,}bin comes before /usr/{s,bin}
 - /snap/bin is missing

It is:
 PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

(see /etc/crontab)

Cron jobs launched in user sessions just get the PATH=/usr/bin:/bin, not
even /usr/local dirs. You'd expect that it would be the other way
around, with /usr/local missing for system wide jobs (which might come
preinstalled), but available in user jobs.

We're considering removing those PATH overrides and have cron inherit
PATH from pam_env, and I'm looking for some feedback, and maybe someone
has an insight into the background of why this is the way it is.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en