On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Ritesh Sinha<sinha.k.rit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Ramnarayan.K<ramnaraya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> thanks,
>>
>> one question i still cannot address:

>> would appreciate help on this too
>>
>> ram
>>
>> --
>>

> Hi Ram,
>
> It is possible that since Virtualbox insists on raw device access
> (this is speculation, of course), you aren't able to pull it off as a
> normal user. For testing purposes try running virtualbox as root (sudo
> virtualbox from terminal) and then give it a shot.
>
> If it works then it is a permissions issue for sure, otherwise we have
> to look at other possible solutions.
>
> Regards,
> Ritesh

Apologies for replying to my own post, but you can try this as well
(after the previously mentioned workaround). Remember to back up your
fstab file!!

$ sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak

Add the following line to /etc/fstab: none /proc/bus/usb usbfs
devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0 as follows:

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

and add to the end of the file:

#usbfs
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0

Basically this gives permissions of Read, Write to owner and group
(66) and read permissions to others (4) to the usbfs.

Sourced from : http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-980165.html