My Opinion:

I don't think Linux crashed this machine.
I cant understand why the system is accessing PXE boot. Am sure you know
what PXE boot is. The trick to recover this machine lie here. May be its is
a fall back option if it cant find the Win boot loader.
If he can get into BIOS, he should change the boot sequence to HDD if not
already done.
Last - may not be suitable for this case now but important for any other
cases that happen in future. Once you partition a Win machine and change the
partition map, always boot into Win once. Also if possible do the
partitioning using Windows tools from within Win. Of course it may not
format to ext, but at least the basic partitions can be done and then
reformatted during the installation. This applies to Vista and Win7. This is
what i remember having read.

Regards

Narendra Diwate