On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 09:07:48AM +0530, Ramnarayan.K wrote:
> Hi
>
> Recenty i helped a friend install Ubuntu 10.04 on his Dell Inspiron machine.
>
> The OS already on board was Wincedows 7 Home Premium. There were 3
> partitions 1 small one for Dell Utilities, the second was C:/ and the third
> was Wincedows Recovery.
>
> I changed the boot sequence to make the optical drive the first
>
> Using Gparted i made a new extended partition out of C:/ and within this
> extended created a root , swap and home.
>
> Ubuntu installed well and was fully functional , as was the wincedows
> partitions that showed up - including the recovery partition.
>
> A day later my friend says his dell crashed and he cannot access the f2 and
> f12 keys and nothing boots up
>
> This was the error message he got
>
> no module name found
> aborted. press any key to exit
> intel UNDI. PXE-2.0 (build 083)
> Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Cproration
>
> For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.3(06/18/10)
>
> CLIENT MAC ADDR: B8 AC 6F 69 6C D4  GUID:
> 44454C4C-5300-104E-804C-C8C04F364253
> PXE-E53: no boot filename recieved
> PXE-M0F: exiting intel PXE ROM.
> operating system not found

Sounds like a problem with boot sequence in bios or grub not properly
working.

Did you ensure changing the boot sequence again to HDD.

Oh but you say even f2 and f12 keys are also not working! That means you
are not able to change the boot sequence or any other bios settings now?

Anyways, I don't think linux would have been the cause. Doing something
foolish with linux after install might be.

--
Regards,
Nitesh Mistry