Jordan,

Well perhaps if we set up a moin moin PDF exporting plugin, this could turn
into a nice setup that still won't lose the advantages of doing it in
docbook format.

Something like this: http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/ActionMarket/PdfAction

Alternatively, if you are worried about malicious activity, maybe an
authentication system to make sure you are part of the appropriate launchpad
group to be allowed to modify things?  All MOTUs would automatically be
added to the group, and then you need to request access otherwise.

Regards,

On 9/12/07, Jordan Mantha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> After some discussion with Daniel Holbach and Matthew East I would
> like to propose that the Ubuntu Packaging Guide be moved from the Doc
> Team repo/website to the wiki.
>
> Here are some reasons for doing so:
> * the packaging guide has been essentially unmaintained for a couple
> releases now. There are a lot of things I would have liked to have
> done but just have no time for. There are only so many
> people,especially devs, who are willing to learn docbook, etc.
> * I am a firm believer that the Ubuntu Packaging Guide should be a
> community project where the people who are actually packaging are
> doing the writing
> * it needs good technical review from developers
> * as Ubuntu develops the Packaging Guide will naturally need to be
> adapted to new policies and procedures.
> * all the other development documentation is on the wiki (MOTU docs
> and UbuntuDevelopment)
>
> The disadvantages I see are:
>   * we probably won't have a nice printable version for a while
> (moin->PDF or moin->1 HTML page is not easy)
>   * since the wiki is editable to anyone ( usually a good thing) there
> is the possibility of people doing bad things, either accidentally or
> maliciously, to the packaging guide.
>
> So, my current plan is to "import" the packaging guide to the wiki
> (probably using the wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide namespace)
> hopefully sometime before UDS-Boston. I will probably need lots of
> help cleaning up the wiki pages after the automatic docbook->moin
> conversion.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Jordan Mantha
>
> --