Daniel Holbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Am Freitag, den 14.09.2007, 16:24 +0200 schrieb Reinhard Tartler:
>> My fear with having that piece of documentation in a wiki is that we
>> won't be able to deal with people asking for comments/clarification or
>> just discussing things about certain parts.
>
> I think that the opposite will happen. It will be much easier for us to
> change things and we should have a more active QA on the documents, as
> it's accessible to all of us.

I agree with you in that. However you missed my point. I fear that
without moderation/reviewing process the *quality* of the document will
decrease. And I don't see how this can be implemented in a sensible way
using a wiki. [1]

>> This means that there would be absolutely no moderation at all, and
>> lots of people will scrawl their personal opinions directly in the
>> Guide.
>
> With your proposal to ask new contributors to take a more active role in
> documenting and/or fixing we should have a much better feedback loop
> than we have at the moment. I think that's going to help.

It will help, but doesn't address my fear; see above. What you propose
here will review/moderate only new applicants, but doesn't apply to
every editor of the packaging guide.

>> The only way of holding the quality of the Guides is by paying attention
>> to Wiki notifications. Perhaps its just me, but I personally tend to
>> ignore these notifications. If we have nobody to actively watch for
>> changes contributors have done, moderate, correct and discuss them with
>> them, I forsee the quality of the guide will decrease. If there was a
>> group which would do that, it would work. However, my experience of the
>> available manpower among us MOTUs tought me something else in the past
>> :(
>
> We didn't have that many wiki mutilation events in the last three years.
> Is this a real threat we're facing?

No, but we didn't have a document in the size and quality like the
ubuntu packaging guide in the wiki either. Yes, I do think this is a
real "threat". It of course highly depends on how we want to transform
it. LaserJock already mentioned at some point in this thread that he
isn't sure how to transform the docbook text to moin.

What is indeed clear is that the document needs to be restructured in a
way that fits the wiki. And *THIS* is real work if you want to do it
properly. Anyone volunteering to do this? I explicitly say that I do not
for this job, because I think we are better served with keeping it in
docbook and forcing ourselves to improve it. YMMV, of course, (and TBH,
I do see reasons for switching from docbook to moin, but none of them
have been mentioned in this thread yet).

[1] In other posts in this thread ACL have been proposed. Please
consider that we don't have ACLs on wiki.ubuntu.com, and AFAIUI
introducing and using them is unbearable expensive.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4