Hi all,

Siegfried-Angel wrote:
> to don't waste time reviewing the packages of those people who we have
> already lost and who may not come back again, but instead to focus on

I agree with this: we don't want unmaintained packages in Ubuntu. Most of the
packages have a maintainer in Debian (and there may or may not be people in
Ubuntu caring for them). But getting new packages directly into Ubuntu means we
rely on ourselves to completely maintain those packages. For some cases that's
not a problem, as there will be some developer or a team (e.g. Desktop,
Kubuntu...) taking care of it. But in other cases, it may be possible that we
upload a package to the archive some random person created and uploaded to REVU,
and once it's in the archive he doesn't keep maintaining it.

That's a big problem IMHO, and a solution someone proposed would be to restrict
the 'privilege' of getting new source packages into Ubuntu to people who are UUC
or in ~ubuntu-dev.

I don't think it's particularly difficult to get UUC status, so if people want
to contribute, they can start with patches, merges, updates, etc. to packages
already in the archive (which IMHO it's easier to get involved, rather than
creating new packages from scratch).

What do people think about that?

Cheers,
Emilio