On Sun, Jun 04, 2023 at 07:22:03PM +0800, Александр Иванов wrote:
> Yggdrasil project already has proper instructions on how to build binaries
> from source and has own maintained repository with instructions of
> installation at
> https://yggdrasil-network.github.io/installation-linux-deb.html
>
> But looks like someone ignored that and pushed non-tested package with
> version *0.4.7-1* instead of latest *0.4.7*, so it overrides official
> package...

This is not how distributions and distribution packaging works.

Ubuntu ships packages for tens of thousands of upstream projects and
these packages are designed to work well together and without the user
having to follow individual upstream download and installation
instructions for each one.

Users therefore generally consume software directly from the
distribution packages.

If yggdrasil wishes to ship packages in Debian's integral packaging
format, then they need to integrate with Debian's (and consequently
Ubuntu's) integral packaging system and with the repositories from the
distributions used by their users, rather than the other way round. In
this case, it looks like your "official packages" are buggy in their
versioning choices with reference to distribution packaging in this
respect.

But even when done correctly, this can lead to problems. It's best for
users to use packages shipped by their distributions, and for upstreams
to work with distributions to make sure that packages of their software
work best for users.

> (how did you manage to do that?)

If I've understood your problem correctly, this is by design and has
been well established practice across the ecosystem for decades now. If
you want this to behave differently then you need to fix your broken
"official packages", or better still, simply recommend that Ubuntu users
use the Ubuntu packages and help us improve those instead.

Robie