Hi Lucas,

On Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 04:35:13PM -0300, Lucas Kanashiro wrote:
> Hi release team,

> A couple of days ago, I got runc SRU not accepted into focal-proposed
> [1] because it is not following what was strictly described in the
> docker.io group exception page [2]. After talking to mwhudson and tianon
> (who were working on this stack before me), we noticed that this was
> quite outdated and we have not been following what was described in the
> Process section for a while. I made some changes to this section and the
> content was approved by tianon. The idea behind the old process was to
> avoid updating stable releases with docker.io version x.x.0 because the
> upstream project at the time was not so mature, but nowadays there are
> some pretty strong incentives to make sure their releases work (even .0
> releases).

> I would like to get the approval from the SRU team to make those changes
> official. To ease the review you can find the old and the proposed
> sections here [3]. In order to avoid any confusion I added a sentence
> here [4] to clarify that the current content of [2] is not yet approved
> by the SRU team.

> Thanks in advance!

> [1]
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/containerd/+bug/1960449/comments/8
> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DockerUpdates
> [3] https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/hg9d5rT63j/
> [4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Docker.io_group

While the new language reads much nicer, one nuance that's been lost in the
process is the idea that we don't SRU the .0 releases but wait until they've
had a chance to fix bugs and stabilize things with a .1.  Is this a
deliberate change, and if so, what has changed in terms of upstream practice
or our QA that makes us think this is no longer a requirement?

If we have NOT been following the rules as stated, that is not something I
was aware of.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org