On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 03:37:11PM -0300, Lucas Kanashiro wrote:
> Em 08/04/2022 14:30, Steve Langasek escreveu:
> > Hi Lucas,
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 04:35:13PM -0300, Lucas Kanashiro wrote:
> >> Hi release team,
> >> A couple of days ago, I got runc SRU not accepted into focal-proposed
> >> [1] because it is not following what was strictly described in the
> >> docker.io group exception page [2]. After talking to mwhudson and tianon
> >> (who were working on this stack before me), we noticed that this was
> >> quite outdated and we have not been following what was described in the
> >> Process section for a while. I made some changes to this section and the
> >> content was approved by tianon. The idea behind the old process was to
> >> avoid updating stable releases with docker.io version x.x.0 because the
> >> upstream project at the time was not so mature, but nowadays there are
> >> some pretty strong incentives to make sure their releases work (even .0
> >> releases).
> >> I would like to get the approval from the SRU team to make those changes
> >> official. To ease the review you can find the old and the proposed
> >> sections here [3]. In order to avoid any confusion I added a sentence
> >> here [4] to clarify that the current content of [2] is not yet approved
> >> by the SRU team.
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >> [1]
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/containerd/+bug/1960449/comments/8
> >> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DockerUpdates
> >> [3] https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/hg9d5rT63j/
> >> [4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Docker.io_group
> > While the new language reads much nicer, one nuance that's been lost in the
> > process is the idea that we don't SRU the .0 releases but wait until they've
> > had a chance to fix bugs and stabilize things with a .1.  Is this a
> > deliberate change, and if so, what has changed in terms of upstream practice
> > or our QA that makes us think this is no longer a requirement?

> Yes, the change to also accept .0 releases is what triggered this
> request (in this case a .0 release of runc). After talking to tianon,
> the part to avoid .0 releases was meant to be for docker.io mostly,
> which at the time was not stable enough, however, this made runc get not
> approved.

> Regarding docker.io QA, this is more an upstream work, they have
> received multiple incentives to improve the quality of their release and
> since a while they are quite stable. If we prefer we can keep that
> policy to avoid the backport of .0 releases of docker.io, and relax this
> for containerd and runc which are more stable in general than docker.io.

If docker.io is still providing regular point releases such that waiting for
the .1 will not be a big problem for SRUing, then the above would be my
preference.

> > If we have NOT been following the rules as stated, that is not something I
> > was aware of.
> Unfortunately we have not. If we get the proposed process accepted (with
> some changes if needed) I'll make sure we follow it from now on.

Well, I think it's on the SRU team for not following the process when
accepting SRUs :)

Thanks,
Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org