On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 11:23:22AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> It is the nature of MRE exceptions that we declare that *such scrutiny is
> not required*, because we trust that upstream has a microrelease policy in
> place that makes this unnecessary.
>
> While upstream has legitimate reasons for wishing to flag these
> configurations as broken, and they did document it prominently on their
> website, the fact that it was included in a microrelease means that their
> policy is not consistent with what our MRE policy requires; and therefore we
> cannot, under the present circumstances, delegate to upstream in this
> matter.

I agree with this principle. This kind of change should be considered on
a case-by-case basis by the SRU team and/or TB as appropriate[1] before
landing an Ubuntu stable release. So we cannot just delegate this to
upstream in this case.

However, given that they did document it prominently, I wonder if we
could find some middle ground, such as a requirement that somebody[2]
inspect upstream documentation for any such notices, document that
search, and then if none are found, trust the upstream microrelease to
be in line with our policies.

Robie

[1] The current SRU policy on this matter was decided and delegated by
the TB and says: "In other cases where such upstream automatic testing
is not available, exceptions must still be approved by at least one
member of the Ubuntu Technical Board."

[2] Who exactly is an important matter for discussion.