On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Dan Sheffner <dsheff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A work around the DNS is editing the /etc/hosts file and hard coding your
> servers there.  Do you have access to this file?

That is the only thing that came to my mind also.(Yes I have access to
this file)
Believe me there are corresponding entries.
As follows in /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.10  myserver.com
192.168.1.16  site4.myserver.com
192.168.1.13  site1.myserver.com
192.168.1.14  site2.myserver.com
192.168.1.15  site3.myserver.com

Here is my /etc/resolv.conf entries

search company.public.com
nameserver <corporate DNS IP>

I feel there should be some thing which tells in resolv.conf not to
look to corporate DNS for the entries in /etc/hosts
as those entries will not be put by sys admins of organization.
But I need the Corporate DNS also.
So is there some way where I can give priority to entries in
/etc/hosts on my server to the Corporate DNS and also use
the corporate DNS (which is where I get connected to internet also)
My feeling is that when ever a website is proxy passed

ProxyPass /something http://site1.myserver.com:8080something
ProxyPassReverse /something http://site1.myserver.com:8080something

then the above site1.myserver.com is not getting resolved which is why
I am getting these errors.
I do not know how does Apache queries i.e. wether it looks for
/etc/hosts first or /etc/resolv.conf
to find out the Domain Names and thus I am getting an error that proxy
is unable to handle the /something