On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Michael Zoet <michael.z...@zoet.de> wrote:

> Am Mo, 10.01.2011, 17:18 schrieb Tapas Mishra:
>

>> I feel there should be some thing which tells in resolv.conf not to
>> look to corporate DNS for the entries in /etc/hosts
>> as those entries will not be put by sys admins of organization.
>
> There are several ways to achieve this! You can define other hostnames in
> /etc/hosts and these names can you use in your Apache proxy configuration.
> The clue is not to use names, that your company DNS resolves, just names
> your Apache Server knows.
>
>> But I need the Corporate DNS also.
>> So is there some way where I can give priority to entries in
>> /etc/hosts on my server to the Corporate DNS and also use
>> the corporate DNS (which is where I get connected to internet also)
>
> Yes! Take a look at /etc/nsswitch.conf and read the documentation about it.
>
> You can also use tools like dnsmasq. Read about it, too
>
> MIchael
>

> --
The unfortunate part is all these things look correctly configured.
I know when you say to know about hosts.conf or nsswitch.conf as to
what you are pointing to.
But things are not working.
Here is nsswitch.conf entry

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

You can note files is mentioned before dns (I think this is what you
wanted to point)
and in same way
/etc/hosts.conf is
order hosts,bind
multi on

So things upto here are perfect but it still does not work and I don't
understand why.