On Sat, October 20, 2012 2:30 pm, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 23:18:48 +0200, Len Ovens <l...@ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
> ..
>> I think we need a mixer for standard audio cards, the xfce4-mixer we
>> have
>> now is not as nice as alsamixer in a terminal from my POV. pavucontrol
>> is
>> the standard desktop mixer for pulse but it doesn't lend itself to card
>> level control in a recording situation, inputs in particular. It also
>> doesn't touch card levels at all in some cases. This would be a mixer
>> for
>> the mixer menu not for the volume icon. I happen to like qasmixer. It
>> would be nice to start it with a wrapper that points it at whatever the
>> device is jack is using or hm:0 if jackd has yet to be run. (this can be
>> switched from within the app as well) Any other mixer app that is better
>> would be fine too.
>
> Are you suggesting to replace the pulseaudio mixer with a non pulseaudio
> mixer?

No, not at all. I mean providing an alsa based mixer in the audio
production->mixers menu for times when pa is not being used or when it is
used through jack. I find the xfce one less than optimal. Many of the
multitrack audio IFs already have their own mixer/control app. But many of
the USB ones don't. and some of the older PCI ones don't either. Internal
I am not sure I am worrying about, but them too.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net