On Fri, Apr 15, 2016, at 07:33 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 19:23:18 +0200, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 15, 2016, at 07:20 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >> There are still issues regarding log files. Assumed somebody doesn't
> >> use DHCP, but e.g. PPPoE, the password could be provided in plain
> >> text by a log file and even if you don't dial up, be careful when
> >> filing a bug against a MUA.
> >>

> >To be a little bit ironical, but yet correct.
> >
> >Please, file a bug.
>
> No hard feelings!
>
> It's simply reality that there are situations, when not "cleaning" log
> files could be dangerous. While an Ardour related log file unlikely is
> critical, nobody knows what amount of systemd log file is transmitted.
> Do you give that log files the shirt off your back?

The motive and the goal behind ubuntu-bug is to make bug reporting
easier for the bug fixer, which is a perspective hard to understand
unless you are the bug fixer.
The bug fixer does not need to know your passwords or your credit card
information to fix the bug - just what caused the bug, and under which
circumstances- which package, which release, which kernel, which system,
basically.
So, if any unintentional and sensitive information does appear -  that
is a problem, and as was stated before, launchpad already takes care of
a deal of that, but if you find any more problems, please do tell.

Why systemd, specifically?

As trivia:
I remember when I attended the Debian Conference in Switzerland last,
and Lennart told us how pretty much everyone would be using systemd
pretty soon. Some laughed at the way he said it, perhaps, or for some
other reason. But, the truth is - both Debian and Ubuntu started using
systemd after that. And, probably for good reason.
Me, personally - I don't care so much which init system we use, because
I wouldn't be able to tell you why one is better than the other. But, if
there are concerns, or errors, or bugs, those should always be brought
up and dealt with.

Hard feeling?
This is not the place for that type of discussion. This is a public mail
list for Ubuntu Studio development, where we do our best to develop the
best free OS for multimedia production in the world.
For Ubuntu Studio to be free, it needs special scrutiny. It is important
that we do things right. And everyone should feel welcome in helping to
achieve that. It is we, here, who make that happen. No one else. It's up
to us. Like it or not - you are one of us Ralf, even though you choose
to have a more distant position.

No, I'm not going to start looking for every single bit that is wrong in
this myriad of bits. That is simply not very practical. Instead, I'm
going to urge anyone who did experience a bit that was wrong to report a
bug for it, so that the right people can become aware of it. And, the
best option I know right now is ubuntu-bug.

/Kaj