On 09/23/2018 07:45 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 16:09:33 -0700, Hank Stanglow wrote:
growing emphasis on Snaps
But even if you stay with Ubuntu and snaps, it's not easy to use it for
pro-audio software, if possible at all.

The point I was trying to make is the distribution model is changing. Flathub has a lot of options, and I've seen quite a few projects go for the self contained "Appimage" model (LMMS for example). Almost half the software I use for multimedia comes containerized rather than from a traditional repository model -- that goes for an Ardour subscription as well.

And there is also the WINE effect. It works really well these days. In a lot of cases you can get a Windows "hassle free" audio experience in a Linux OS, and you don't need a custom distribution for WINE.

This is just my experience and I can't speak for Ubuntu Studio users.