Hi,

the described performance issues could also happen, if a disc drive is
broken. Sometimes strange things also happen, if the CMOS
battery is getting low.

Usually, but not necessarily running

    sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
                          ^^^

gives a pointer. Replace "sda" with the drive you want to check. If the
drive should be a SSD, it might not be part of systemctl's data base, so
it's better to use a vendor's tool instead of systemctl. Btw. I don't
have experiences with broken SSDs, just with broken HDDs and at least
HHDs could cause such issues.

Very old mobos usually point to a battery that gets low, when turning
on the computer, let alone that very old mobos usually work, even with
an empty CMOS battery, it just requires to set the date and time again.
New mobos tend to provide the correct date and time even with a too low
battery and don't mention that the battery already is too low, they just
start to behave strange and AFAIK there's no way to check the battery,
other than replacing it by a new one. Even using a multimeter and a
resistor to simulate load, might still indicate that the battery isn't
too low.

My guess is, that a disk drive is broken, but if I were you, I would
replace the battery and check the disk drive and just in case I would
run memtest, too. Note, running memtest could lead to false positives,
if the RAM is ok, as well as passing all tests, even with a broken RAM.
Memtest not necessarily is trustworthy, but it still could help
troubleshooting.

Consider to check all connections, especially SATA connectors without a
lock. Sometimes disconnecting everything (SATA cables, power cables,
PCI, RAM ...) and connecting it again, even without cleaning helps.

Regards,
Ralf

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-cornflower,,-securityink,-pussytoes}}|cut -d\  -f2
4.19.6.arch1-1