On Friday, December 7, 2018 2:42:07 PM PST Mike Squires wrote:
> On 12/5/18 5:56 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the described performance issues could also happen, if a disc drive is
> > broken. Sometimes strange things also happen, if the CMOS
> > battery is getting low.
>
> I ran the "unixbench" benchmark as a quick-and-dirty test of the system's
> overall performance under Ubuntu Studio 16.04.  The "System Score" was
> 562.5 for a single CPU, 2289 for all 8.  The specific test numbers were
> what I'd expect from a system with 8 2 GHz Xeon cores (File copy 4096 was
> 568018 KBps single CPU, 975956 KBps with all 8).  I did notice that the
> percent of time in wait states was always well below 1%, usually 0.2% or
> less.
>
> I will be shortly upgrading memory to 20GB and CPUs to 3 GHz quad core.  I
> will have to reorganize the drive array in order to be able to set up a
> test system, that may happen after New Year's.
>
> 16.04 is working well for me, but I'd like to figure out why 18.xx and my
> hardware don't want to coexist.

Hi Mike,

I have a theory on this one since I saw that you're using an AMD graphics
card. Between 16.04 and 18.04, the open source AMD driver was changed from the
"radeon" to the "amdgraphics" driver.  With my machine, which has AMD
graphics, I had some intermittent slowness especially with 18.10. I ended up
fixing it by adding this to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line in /etc/default/grub:

radeon.cik_support=0 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1
amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.dpm=0

The key was the "amdgpu.dpm" line, which, with the 0, disables the dynamic
power management module. The dynamic power management was causing my graphics
to crash if I so much as coughed.

I hope this helps. At least it's worth a shot.

Erich