On Friday 28 March 2008, Cory K. wrote:
> This is why I think there's been a systemic change somewhere. I was
> hoping it would be the simple matter of installing some lib but it's not
> looking good.

I dicked around with KConfig too, and nothing changed Skype one iota.

It does look interesting to tell KDE to use the GNOME icon set (interesting as
in totally pukey, but I'm trying to look at this as a unified presentation,
and it's subtly more unified now.)

I also have a KDE "Ubuntu Studio" color scheme now.

If I go one bigger and supply a default rosegardenrc that has the bundled
theme option turned off, the colors come out even better.

None of this actually affects Skype or QJackCtl at all, which both seem
totally bullet proof as far as getting their presentation to change, but I
just turned all of this back to factory defaults to compare the difference
running Rosegarden and QSynth, and the difference is very striking compared
to a user with no .qt or .kde directories taking the config from the lib
default settings.

It almost seems a good enough answer to all those whiners who keep demanding a
GTK port.  I wouldn't do this in such a way that these new settings would get
pulled in for a user installing Ubuntu Studio on top of something else, but
for someone installing off your DVD and expected to be running GNOME, I think
maybe I haven't wasted my time today after all.

Here's what it looks like now.

http://home.comcast.net/~documentarian/demo2.jpg

I haven't tarballed the new .kde directory, because I have to hand edit some
stuff out of this to make a good /etc/skel template, and I have a vague
feeling you're about to tell me this was all a futile exercise, because you
were looking for some other answer to this question, and this whole approach
is totally untenable for some reason.

But maybe not.

--
D. Michael McIntyre