On 11/2/06, Kenny Holden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Eamonn,
>
> Im not sure that you've really missed anything. My mail did imply a decision
> had been made, which I don't think it has.

No, that's fine. Wasn't criticising, I was just honestly asking. I
jump in and out of the list when I have time and I remember some
heated discussion around this issue a while back. I thought I had
missed a conclusion.

> However I do think it is a good way for new users to use as a resource. I
> believe the list is good for people interested in getting involved in
> ubuntu-uk (im not suggesting the list should be exclusive). I believe new
> users would find it easier to use a forum to get assistance. Personally, I
> find searching forums easier than mailing lists. Also, users can attend the
> forums when they have a need for assistance and can search for an answer or
> post for help. This way they don't need to be subscribed to the mailing list
> getting daily mails when they actually don't want or need the content of
> these mails.

There is a definitely advantage to Web forums for people who don't
want or need to subscribe to an email list, plus it makes it a bit
easier to find solutions to common problems with a Google search. My
only hesitation is that I wouldn't want an already (relatively) small
community to be split further. The ubuntu-users list and the forums
are completely different communities, as far as I can tell, and I
wouldn't want the same thing to happen to ubuntu-uk.

-Eamonn