On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 01:34:43PM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> I have a Minidisc recorder which uses exactly the same software.  The
> only way I managed to get it working was to run VMWare and a basic
> installation of Windows XP.

Don't forget QEMU when mentioning VMWare :) QEMU is an open source computer
emulator. I've run
Win95, 98, NT, 2K, XP and other operating systems under QEMU quite sucessfully.
It does have an
optional closed-source kernel module based accelerator which works very well,
and if you're okay
using that then all the better. It's a lot more open than VMWare :)

There's a couple of apps that I use that only work on Windows, and I run them
under a virtual
machine once in a while. The VM images are actually on a usb drive and work
fine from there.

Cheers,
Al.