< big snip >

> (and let us know how you get on!)

Thank you very much for the information and the trouble you have taken
but I am wondering if it is worth going to all the trouble and taking
the risk of further problems. I now realise that I do not have a working
tablet but only a glorified mouse which may as well go back into its box
until things have been sorted out. Fortunately, all this is happening on
a machine which I am using as part of my digital photographic set-up, so
I can fiddle to a certain extent. Perhaps it would be best to scrap 9.04
and use 8.10 or 8.04 instead what do you think?

Norman