On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 07:10 +0100, alan c wrote:
> or nearly that, anyway.....
>
> Article:
> Royal Society opens inquiry into why kids hate tech
> Lessons that is, not games, mobiles, Facebook:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/25/royal_society_schools_computing/
>
> 'exam results have shown computing subjects are failing to grab kids'
> attention'
>
> Could it be that a strong bias towards proprietary products is not
> inspiring students?
> Would more appreciation of Free Software in education enable better
> use of talents?
>
> Express your views to the Royal Society soon.
> http://royalsociety.org/Education-Policy/Projects/
>
> --
> alan cocks
> Ubuntu user

My experience of GCSE IT was that it was "This is Microsoft Word, write
a 2 page document including a table, a graphic and a footnote." which is
_not_ what IT should be about. I lost _huge_ amounts of marks in one
part because the project was "Create 4 linked webpages in Microsoft
Front Page blah blah blah" which would have been a nightmare for any
sane person to maintain, so I wrote it in PHP with a SQL backend and
none of the markers understood it :(

IT should be more about computers less about office work!

-Matt Daubney