** Alan Bell <alanb...@ubuntu.com> [2011-07-01 13:19]:
> well we reached the milestone of 25 "likes" on our Facebook page so
> now have a sparkly new vanity URL: http://www.facebook.com/UbuntuUK
> . . . and we got it just in time for Google Plus to be released and
> render Facebook redundant. Discuss!
** end quote [Alan Bell]

If I could get an invite to take a look I may have something to discuss ;)

Actually I'm in two minds, I don't like Facebook much but it does have the
killer feature of user base - or more specifically the fact that people I know
use it (technically I have a Hi5 account because I was trying to get in touch
with someone who used it and not Facebook, but it isn't a nice service and I'd
rather they'd been on Facebook!). In theory Google should be able to use it's
position to gain traction, and making it use Gmail for messaging and Picassa
for photo sharing could give it an edge in flexibility (and instant user base).

Diaspora*, if it ever gets going, will likely be much like Identica, preferred
by techies, but always the also ran to Twitter purely on user base.

Somebody ought to do a mashup that combines something like Identica, Wordpress,
IMAP mail with webmail, Gallery, Jabber or etc. using RSS / Planet so the actual
service being used for each contact is largely irrelevant. Then it wouldn't
matter what blogging, instant messaging, picture sharing, 'tweeting' services
were used.