On 21 August 2013 22:30, scoundrel50a <scoundrel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/08/2013 10:17, Alan Pope wrote:
>>
>> On 21 August 2013 10:13, scoundrel50a <scoundrel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, I really dont understand the attitude of attack when somebody posts
>>> something like this. Not everybody is competant in using Ubuntu, and not
>>> everybody understands the risks involved especially considering for years
>>> its been pushed as a safe OS. All i have done is post this to the group, I
>>> dont appreciate this attitude. It doesnt give Ubuntu a good light when
>>> people see this.
>>>
>> Nobody is attacking anyone. Get a grip.
>>

> Just to be clear, when I said you, this is what I meant, I dont appreciate
> being told to get a grip......especially when I wasnt the one to shoot
> anybody down......

Good morning,

Respectfully, I would prefer my inbox not be full of this dross every
time I turn my computer on in the morning. If people are going to keep
sprouting cr*p "he said this, I'm being bullied" I don't want to be on
this list any more.

Quite frankly this list is here to talk about GNU/Linux and more
specifically Ubuntu. Having petty, poorly spelt arguments about being
called this, that and the other only serves to make everyone party to
the discussion look like a complete moron.

The point that was raised was valid, however there have always been
attacks around capable of hosing a Linux system, for as long as I can
remember. All of these hacks required some form of mistake on the part
of the user, much the same as Windows. A good analogy is giving
someone a top of the range safe, but the recipient, not being trained
to lock it, accidentally leaves it open, or does something to
compromise the security. It's not the fault of the safe, merely that
the user didn't know how to secure it.

Around all of the rubbish that people have been sprouting on here,
there is some logic. Using unofficial repositories is always a good
way of increasing the risk factor of a break in, but by all means this
doesn't mean don't use them at all if they are reputable. Another
popular one is not running any scripts or Java executables from
websites which aren't necessarily trustworthy. That's opening the door
for someone to slip a nice rootkit in to your machine and start
causing havoc. The chances of this actually happening, unless you are
really gullible are quite low anyway, but perhaps it's worth going and
reading some articles/books on improving your skills at preventing and
detecting infections if you feel unskilled.

In summary, (to everyone) kindly use your brains before spraying your
verbal diarrhoea into a public conversation and speak to someone as
you would like to be spoken to yourself.

Kris Douglas MBCS
 www.krisd.eu