Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried "sftp user@hostname" as advised and that did indeed work fine. This set
me off on a search for known problems with Filezilla. It seems a lot of Fedora
users were having similar problems with Filezilla 3.7.3, which turned out to be
the version I was running. For some reason it was disallowing SFTP connections
using SSH keys.

I've installed a later version (3.10.2) from a PPA and everything is now
working fine.

Cheers

Nige