On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 02:07:58AM +0100, William Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 4:26 PM, Jim Price <d1vers...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a supplier of Ubuntu laptops who would accept payment by
> > cheque? I'm told eBuyer don't for this one:
>
> I don't mean to derail the conversation, but if you are paying by
> cheque, is this because you do not have a debit card for your bank
> account from which you are drawing the cheque?  Have you considered
> using a prepaid debit card instead?  I'd say most if not all online
> stores will not accept cheques as payment these days due to the long
> turnaround time and stronger possibility of payment failure
> (debit/credit cards give a virtually immediate payment verification
> response to the supplier).

I think Jim will struggle to find a shop anywhere, online or offline,
that accepts cheques. They've been pretty much killed off for consumer
to business transactions. A local small PC shop might be willing to
accept cheques, but that's the only place I can think of.

A pre-paid card is one option, though I believe they charge for loading
cash onto them. Another option would be to get a trusted person to buy
the laptop on their card, then reimburse them by cheque, though that
could cause issues later down the line if the laptop has a fault.

--
Paul Waring
Freelance consultant