I have a dual hard drive setup in my laptop thanks to a secondary cradle where the DVD rom should be. I have decided to replace my primary hard drive as it is virtually dead. I have installed the new drive in the secondary caddy and begun to copy my home directory in it's entirety across to the new drive.

The old drive installed here was sdb and my primary drive sda, weirdly though now my primary is sdb and this new one is sda. I decided while waiting for the copy to complete I would have a nose around in the Disks utility. Firstly I was surprised to see that apparently both drives were exactly the same make and model. Something fishy is surely going on there!

Both drives have exactly the same SMART data, showing a pre-failure condition. In summary it appears that Disks is displaying two copies of my primary drive, rather than the genuine data for my second drive.

Where might I report this? And before I remove my primary drive and move on to installing Ubuntu is there anything I should do to gather data n this issue?