On 01/08/16 10:00, Michael wrote:
> Alan, Barry, or anybody who can help with an upgrade problem. I f the
> helper need to take over my computer to resolve, I'm happy with that.
>
> The update14.04-16-04,  was writing updated files when it stopped, a
> restart just defaults to login and login to the terminal command prompt.
> The help option delivers a screen full, I do not know if one of the
> options will help.
>
> 64bit dual boot with MS Windows 7. I do have a 14.10 32bit disc if that
> might help but am worried about loosing things.
>
> Any offers of help appreciated. Tks, Michael

Hi Michael,

How long did you leave it in the stalled condition?
What did the terminal say it was doing at the time?

The reason that I ask is that I did an LTS to LTS update (64 bit) last
Friday and it stalled for a very long time while installing one of the
language packages. I left it alone and it eventually came back to life
and completed.
The installation part of the upgrade seemed to take much longer than
previous upgrades. Since the upgrade the machine has been much slower to
shut down, but this is a known bug to do with systemd and networked
printers. Just waiting for the fix to work its way through the update
system.

Cheers,

Barry T
(Yes, I know I'm not the Barry you intended)