For the life of me I cannot see why the Sys V init system was replaced.
It was simple, and easy to understand, and you only had to do it once or
twice a year except when debugging forced many reboots.  Even then it
was more than fast enough.

I am having real trouble trying to work out what starts what, and what
should be started.  For heavens sake, if you are going to introduce
something new could you not at least document it a bit better.  I have
tried searching your wiki for variations on "what starts unity" with no
success whatsoever.  I rather thought that GPL software was supposed to
be user supported.  I don't see how it can be if I cannot find out what
is going wrong first.

I have spent hours on this now and still have no clear idea what is
failing, or even  if 'xorg' is the correct package to file this bug
under.

  no GUI after update to 12.04