Whoa, just a high handed minute, there.

I never said it was an X bug, I picked X because that wretched robot
wanted me to pick something, and I followed the advice it pointed to on
the Wiki.

I had a perfectly good 10.04 system, ran the automatic update, and it is
now broken.    I regard that as a perfectly valid bug, probably in the
update although there isn't a specific category for the update, only for
the software used to do the update.  If you don't think X is the correct
component, what do you suppose is?

And I don't think that suggesting a fresh install is anything other than
a symptom of despair.  How about a few suggestions about what MIGHT be
wrong with my configuration ?  How about the fact that I created a new
configuration from /etc/skel?

How about all the other people on the bulletin board with the same
problem, who all needed to do a clean install?

I rather thought that the idea of reporting a bug was because people
wanted to hear about them, not to be airly dismissed with the suggestion
of a clean install when that was /exactly/ what the upgrade process was
supposed to avoid.

  no GUI after update to 12.04