@ Maarten Lankhorst,

Yes. When I boot the Lubuntu Trusty 20131129 i386 DVD to the llive DE on
that VIA P4M800 box I just get a blank screen, but you can tell the
backlight is on.

Booting the same image on my Intel box shows this version info:

lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ dpkg -s xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
Package: xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 521
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-disc...@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1:0.3.3-1
Provides: xorg-driver-video
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libdrm2 (>= 2.3.1), libx11-6 (>= 2:1.4.99.1),
libxext6, libxv1, libxvmc1, xorg-video-abi-14, xserver-xorg-core (>=
2:1.14.2.901-2ubuntu4~)
 OpenChrome is a project for the development of free and open-source drivers
 for the VIA UniChrome video chipsets.
 .
 Originally called the 'snapshot' release, since it was a snapshot of an
 experimental branch of the unichrome cvs code, this is a continued development
 of the open source unichrome driver (from http://unichrome.sf.net) which
 also incorporates support for the unichrome-pro chipsets.
 .
 Support for hardware acceleration (XvMC) for all chipsets has subsequently
 been ripped out of the unichrome.sf.net driver. Therefore your only option if
 you wish to make use of the acceleration features of your VIA chip with free
 and open-source drivers is to use this version of the driver.
Homepage: http://www.openchrome.org

AFAIK this broke between Saucy Alpha 1 and Saucy Alpha 2 but I could
never find anything in the changelog to give me any clues.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-openchrome in Ubuntu.

  VIA P4M800 graphics broken in Lubuntu/Xubuntu Saucy