I just placed a script in .config/autostart

"  xrandr --output VGA-0 --off --output TV-0 --off --output HDMI-0
--primary --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal   "

This was generated by Arandr which was suggested by someone in the IRC.
That failed to work.  Then I tried the same in a folder called
.screenlayout. That also failed.

I tried to have it called from the "Startup Applications" , but that
seems to also be broken (bug report to follow on this), Startup
Applications does not save anything that is added after a reboot.  The
only thing that is showing there is Nvidia  X Server settings.

As stated earlier this was not an issue with 14.04 LTS.  Three weeks
later I am still dealing with this screen resolution issue to the point
that I lost track of all the things that were suggested and from
outdated posts.

  Screen resolution not saved after reboot or logout and back in