I have also tried Arander GUI suggested by someone in the IRC and it created a
script:
#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output VGA-0 --off --output TV-0 --off --output HDMI-0 --primary
--mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal

This was placed in /home/.screenlayout which did not work.  I also manually
added the same script to the folder /home/.config/autostart with no luck.  Both
scripts were given the proper permissions.  I have the script in both locations
at the moment, but I have tried with just .screenlayout or .config/autostart.
I am about to rewrite the script as a simple xrandr -s 1920x1080 since that
seems to work each time I boot and have call the terminal and put that line in
so I can get my proper screen resolution.

  Screen resolution not saved after reboot or logout and back in