I have the same problem with my brand new Pavilion 17 (product: HP
Pavilion Notebook (N9E13UA#ABA)) with the AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6, 10
Compute Cores 4C+6G, and graphics VGA compatible controller: Advanced
Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Carrizo (rev c5). I tried the graphics
PPA's but "no joy". Ubuntu 16.04.2 (64 bit), kernel
4.11.9-041109-generic. Seems to be a buggy driver since I can eventually
get a desktop after multiple reboots but after 30+ minutes the screen
goes dark and won't come back which, of course, means more reboots.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu in Ubuntu.

  [HP Pavilion 15] Intermittent black screens