Adrian:

>"I have tried Ubuntu 17.10 with the upstream kernels (4.15.2 and
4.16-rc1) and both behave similarly:"

Please attach both your dmesg and xorg logs after reproducing the
graphical glitching on the latest mainline kernel. Without logs,
developers can't do anything.

>"no kernel parameters: screens chained by MST DisplayPort mirror
picture, visible as a single screen"

To clarify, can you change the mirror to an extended display via the
GUI?

Also, is there graphical glitching in these modes?

>"radeon.mst=1 : screens chained by MST DisplayPort work properly (seen
as separate screens), build screen doesn't work"

Same questions as above.

>"radeon.mst=1,radeon.dpm=1 : subsequentely flickering screens, not
usable"

Need logs.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-ati (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1509997

Title:
  1002:6821 Graphical issues when radeon MST enabled