Tim Habigt wrote in #30:

> Yes, I also got the gcc update after the kernel update. With the new
gcc, I could fix the Nvidia kernel module.

> Here's how:
> # Show the current vermagic string of the kernel module
> modinfo nvidia-384 -k 4.4.0-116-generic

> # It will probably say:
> # vermagic: 4.4.0-116-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
> # Here the retpoline string is missing.
> # You can fix this by removing and re-building the module with DKMS

> sudo dkms remove nvidia-384/384.111 -k 4.4.0-116-generic
> sudo dkms install nvidia-384/384.111 -k 4.4.0-116-generic

The modinfo command does return the string shown above, so my question
is this, right now this machine is booted into the -112 kernel.  Can I
run those two "sudo dkms" while still in the -112 kernel, or does it
have to be booted into -116 first?  And also, if I do this, will it only
affect the -116 kernel?  In other words, if for some reason this doesn't
work, will it still be able to boot into -112 with no changes to the
nVidia graphics in that kernel?

  4.4.0-116 Kernel update on 2/21 breaks Nvidia drivers (on 14.04 and
  16.04)