On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:22:22AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 12:10:51AM +1000, Greg Ungerer wrote:
> > Given the simplicity of using MTD and the uclinux.c mapping why
> > would you not be using if you have your root fs after your kernel
> > binary?
> >
> > There are other methods, init ramfs, initrd, etc. Don't know if
> > anyone has tried them on m68knommu.
>
> I use initramfs for a rootfs.  Works OK, although it seems like it wastes
> a lot of ram caching the initramfs files on access which I have no idea
> how to make it stop doing (it is totally stupid to do that after all).
> I network boot using tftp using a uimage containing a kernel and an
> initramfs archive.

Using the initramfs did require adding a patch to allow uboot to
pass arguments to the kernel as well as to handle initrd parameters.
I submitted it to the kernel list, although I can't remember if it was
accepted or not.  Looking at the Linus git tree it appears to be in,
so it should work fine.

--
Len Sorensen