Hi Greg,

On Aug 8, 2011, at 5:56 AM, Greg Ungerer wrote:
> As far as I know this has never been in mainline kernels.
> I have been carrying a version of it around in the uClinux-dist
> linux-2.6.x sources for a while - as drivers/char/i2c-mcf.[hc]
>
> That looks to be similar, though not completely identical,
> to the driver you have attached here.
Right as the hardware I'm working on needed I2C and had a version of this file
already running I adapted it to the newer kernel.

> At the very least there is some style issues that need to
> be fixed first. Only /* */ style comments should be used for
> one thing. Easiest way to find style issues is to run:
>
> scripts/checkpatch.pl
>
> from within the kernel source tree.
Ok, I ran my adapted/regenerated patch through it. It warns about the use of
volatile but I think this time it is right to use it, because the access to
memory-mapped hardware as laid out in
Documentation/volatile-considered-harmful.txt.

> This patch would also need to be sent to the i2c mailing list
> (http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-i2c) so it can
> go to mainline via the i2c git tree.
I will to post it there.

> I can certainly take ColdFire specific header file changes,
> after being cleaned up.
Please find the regenerated and signed-off patch file.

> Regards
> Greg
Regards,
 Peter