Hi Waldemar,

On 19/08/16 08:53, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> Greg Ungerer wrote,
>
>> Hi Waldemar,
>>
>> On 16/08/16 03:21, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
>>> Hi Greg,
>>> Greg Ungerer wrote,

>>> Thanks for fixing this Bug!
>>> It works for 4.6.5 for me.
>>
>> That fix is in Linus' tree now, as of 4.8-rc2.
>> So it will be in linux-4.8 when released.
>>

>>> In Buildroot are some build failures like:
>>> http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/1ec/1ec691746b5196e9fd6779c22ef2ca4600349fb4/
>>>
>>> Which seems to be a limitation of mcf520x. When I disable msep-data
>>> pcre can be compiled.
>>
>> Not sure, perhaps it is exceeding the maximum entries of the GOT.
>>

>>> Is it possible to have a mixup of sep-data and one memory region
>>> binaries on the same system?
>>
>> Oh yeah, that is no problem. The binfmt_flat loader does
>> the right things no matter which type was used to compile
>> the application.
>
> I discussed our Buildroot issues with Thomas.
> Is there any benefit using -msep-data if Application XIP isn't used?
>
> The toolchain used for Buildroot autobuilder defaults to -msep-data
> and breaks compilation of software packages as pcre, fftw, ffmpeg
> and more. We can just remove -msep-data for these packages, but this
> makes no sense, if the application can not be used in a XIP only
> firmware.
> So is there any benefit in having -msep-data when non-XIP is used?

No, not really. The code (text) section of an -msep-data binary
will be slightly larger (few %) due to it being PIC. Oddly enough
though non -msep-data binaries are usually slightly larger due to
the much larger number of relocations needed to be stored.

As you have found the limitations on code size and relocations
hit you with -msep-data - and you will not have those will fully
absolute binaries.

Dropping -msep-data is probably the best choice here. Keeping in
mind that it is currently broken without the m68k/signal.c kernel
patch.

Regards
Greg