Family Tells How Israelis Buried Deaf Father
Alive
By Justin Huggler in Beit Lahiya, Gaza Strip The
Independent - UK 12-2-2
- Beside the pile of flattened concrete, all that was
left of his home, Maher Salem described yesterday how his 68-year-old
father was killed when the Israeli army demolished the house on top of
him. When he found his father, Mr Salem said, the old man's head was
"like a bar of chocolate, it was only two centimetres thick".
-
- The Israeli army swept into Beit Lahiya, a sandy town
in the north of the Gaza Strip, late on Saturday night. The man they
came for was Mr Salem's brother, Hisham, a senior Islamic Jihad militant
and the man who ordered a suicide bombing on Tel Aviv's Dizengoff Street
in 1996 that killed 20 Israelis.
-
- The wanted man was at the wake for his father
yesterday � the Israeli army would love to get as close to him as we
did. A couple of Apache helicopters hovered on the horizon; given the
Israeli policy of assassinating militants, waiting around was not a good
idea.
-
- The army did not catch Mr Salem � the Israeli
newspapers gave his name as Hisham Thab, the family told us it was Salem
� on Saturday night. Instead, they demolished his family home. It was a
six-storey house: three generations of the family lived here. Yesterday
all you could see was a huge, layered mound of smashed concrete, family
possessions poking out in places: a bed, a chair, a rug.
-
- "They came at around 10.50 that night," said Maher
Salem. "There were more than 25 tanks. All the men, we escaped from the
house minutes before they got to it. We were in my car about 100 metres
from here.
-
- "They shot at us. We got out of the car and ran. We
could hear them shouting over a loudspeaker, telling all the people
inside the house to come out in the next three minutes."
-
- Inside the house, he said, were only the women and
children of the family and his father, Ashur.
-
- The old man lived on the sixth floor, where he was
alone, sleeping, on the night the army arrived. He was deaf, Mr Salem
said, and could not hear the soldiers shouting for everyone to come
out.
-
- Fathiye Salem, the old man's niece, was one of the
women in the house at the time. She told how when they heard the
soldiers, the women and children ran out of the house. "I shouted at the
soldiers, 'My uncle is sleeping on the sixth floor, he's deaf'," Ms
Salem said. "They pointed their guns at us and shouted, 'Go! Go!
Go!'"
-
- Then the soldiers put dynamite inside the house and
blew it up, the women said. There was no time for them to remove any
goods.
-
- "We got back at 2.20am," resumed Mr Salem. "We were
asking what happened to my father but no one knew. We started looking
for him in the rubble. At 9.20am we found his hand." The old man's head
had been crushed under a beam.
-
- There has been controversy in the past over
Palestinian claims that people have been buried alive when the Israeli
army demolished their houses. In one case, in Jenin, Palestinians said
their relative had been buried. He later turned up alive. But this time
there was a body. It had been buried when we arrived. We saw the freshly
dug grave. And hundreds had turned up for the wake. This was not a show
for the media: there were no other journalists in sight.
-
- It would not be the first time claims of this sort
turned out to be true: in Nablus in April, eight members of a single
family died when a soldier bulldozed their house on top of them. Their
bodies were found, and the case has been well documented by
international human rights groups.
-
- "My children keep asking, 'Where is our house?'" Mr
Salem said. He and the rest of the extended family are now living rough,
on the streets next to the ruins of their home. United Nations relief
workers have given them a couple of large white tents to stay in.
-
- The Israeli army has a policy of demolishing the
family homes of militants, even those of suicide bombers who are already
dead.
-
- Human rights groups have condemned the practice as
"collective punishment", where the families are punished for the crimes
of relatives. The Israelis say the tactic acts as a deterrent.
-
- On the sidelines of the wake yesterday, the wanted
man, Hisham Salem, spoke to us. Did the demolition of the house deter
him from further attacks on Israelis? "On the contrary," he said. "These
acts give us new momentum to resist the occupation, and fight till we
liberate our holy land." The helicopters were still on the
horizon.
-
- * Four Palestinians were killed yesterday in separate
incidents in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. A 16-year-old was shot dead
in Jenin after Palestinians began throwing stones at Israeli armoured
vehicles. In Gaza a Palestinian gunman was shot and killed after he
opened fire on a military outpost. A Palestinian labourer was killed
when he was mistakenly hit by a mortar shell fired by Palestinian
militants. In the West Bank town of Tulkarem, a bystander was killed
during a gun battle between militants and Israeli troops.
-
- http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=357935
|
The Mulindwas
communication group "With Yoweri Museveni, Uganda is in
anarchy"
|