'Arrow Boys Desert Duty'



Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit�The�Publisher's�Site





The Monitor (Kampala)

December 20, 2003
Posted to the web December 19, 2003

Elias Biryabarema
Parliament

Members of the Arrow Group, a militia group, mobilised to help the army contain rebel insurgency in Teso are abandoning duty, Parliament has heard.

Presenting a humanitarian and security report about the region, the local MPs told Parliament on Thursday that the militias' initial morale is ebbing and scores are escaping back to the villages, with their guns.

A number of reasons were cited for the scenario.

"There still exists no clear understanding about the welfare of the Arrow Group especially in regard to their pay, uniform and food supplies," Mr Patrick Oboi (Kumi county) said.

"Although a token of Shs 60,000 shillings was suggested as monthly pay for the Arrow members, initial payments were reportedly made only to a few and for only one month, and not in arrears as had been promised."

The injured, according to the report, have not been compensated. The MPs expressed fear that the militia who are frustrated and demoralized might engage in subversive acts, including the illegal use of guns.

The relationship between the UPDF regional command and Arrow Boys was also reported to be getting tense.

The MPs said the militias are complaining of mistreatment by "UPDF superiors" which, according to the report, is a challenge to recruitment and retention efforts.

According to the report, the general picture of Teso with a total population of 397,134 people is appalling.

Most of the people are displaced, there's lack of water and food, while the women folk lack the necessary sanitary requirements.

The minister of Defence, Amama Mbabazi admitted that with insufficient funds in the ministry, payment of the Arrow Boys had been a problem.

He however promised that government would secure funds from the supplementary budget and pay up.

The Acholi Parliamentary Group also reported the plight of their people. They said they were happy with government's efforts to remedy the situation.


They also noted that the international community had stepped up efforts to provide relief.

Acholi and Langi MPs returned to the House on Thursday following a month-long boycott of parliamentary proceedings. They were protesting government's neglect of the region.




Reply via email to